Monday, September 14, 2009

NYC yellow bike program

Hi you all. Yesterday was a fabulous day in New York City. Me and John went to Central Park with my two bikes spray painted yellow. I wanted to leave them for the city dwellers, who are so inclined, to get around. Other cities around the USA have yellow (or white) bike programs so why not New York. The idea is to have a bike laying around in good repair. No need to steal it, just use it.
The problem is, though, when they become unusable because of a broken chain, flat tire or bad brakes. Who fixs them? Well that is where I hope New Yorkers will gather together to figure out.
Some prisons teach prisoners to repair such items. It gives them skills and the labor is of no charge. But still parts are needed. Funds need to be contributed.
New Yorkers are good fund raisers, so I don't see that the few hundred dollars a year needed to keep a program like this running would be difficult. Even disadvantaged kids could pick up the bikes and try their hand at putting the chains back on and fixing a flat.
I hope it goes far...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment