Monday, April 8, 2013

Music I listened to in the 1970's

    I compiled a list of music for each year that I write about in Material Things. Rock and Roll music was at it's peak in the 60's and 70's and I feel fortunate to have enjoyed the whole Rock Culture. While I loved the 60's music, it was not the music well known in my high school, but my brothers were all listening to it when I was a kid so loved it through out my teen years and it was always played on WPLR, the most popular rock station in New Haven.
  After buying Davids reciever and a new set of good speakers, I listened to that radio station all night long. The sound was so good. I remember waking up to Pavanne of the Sleeping Beauty one night, by Joe Walsh and was compelled to call the DJ at one oclock in the morning. To my surprize, he answered right away. I asked him what that beautiful song was.
  I told him I had just woken up and he said "Than you must be the sleeping beauty."
  I thought it was so cool that I was talking directly to the man on the radio, especially when he told me to hang on to speak through the radio. He came back to me and we continued our conversation.
  That was one episode that encouraged my love of music and radio, especially WPLR. I was happy and surprised to hear it again when I returned to Connecticut and its program relatively unchanged. I could still hear music I had not heard since I left over twenty years before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N3uW5xd__Qw

No comments:

Post a Comment